Everyone told you about how crucially you should be shifted to Magento 2 but do someone talk about the consideration. While you migrate from Magento 1 to 2, there are some key areas you should focus on for a successful migration.
Here in this article, we are talking about those most critical 5 areas.
5 key areas to focus on while migrating from Magento 1 to 2
What you will get with site migration and would it fulfil your business requirements must be your first consideration. Here is the list of benefits you might look for:
- Performance- 20% faster than Magento 1 leads to improved performance in search engines and sales well.
- Checkout process- The 2 step checkout process is far better than the former 6 steps. While it saves users time and makes the process efficient, it is vastly increasing sales as well.
- Admin interface- If you are the one who feels Magento 1 admin panel is complex for a normal user, then you will love the clean, easy and user-friendly Magento 2 admin interface.
- Mobile friendly- As compared to Magento 2, Magento 1 does not show the optimum mobile-friendly performance. However, in M2, developers make mobile commerce a priority. With PWA and Magento 2.3, customers can enjoy even further.
Does your eCommerce site need a migration?
You should be aware of the announcement that from June 2020, Magento stops supporting the old version. It means it will work but not deliver the regular feature & security updates.
Other things to consider if you choose Magento 1-
- No Security updates
- No latest updates and features
- Easy to hack
- No competitive advantages
Also know- The best Magento 2 security practices.
What you should expect from a Magento 2 migration?
Of course, you expect a migration that does not serve data loss and downtime. So what you should keep in mind to get these, here you go:
Before starting migration-
- Assure you upgrade the site at the same time of migration, as it is the ideal time to make critical changes.
- Make sure you are working with experts, so you can be sure about:
- Does your site need to be designed with more hardware?
- Do you require a more advanced topology?
A proper migration plan should be like this:
- Review data and extensions of your current site and identify the core Magento 2 code parts of extensions.
- Remove outdated and repeat data from Magento 1.
- Prepare Magento 2 for migration, such as replicating your M1 database to ignore any unexpected issues.
- Go through all migration steps on your testing environment, so you can control all admin activity on both M1 and M2 during the test run.
- Start migration with the data migration tool, as it will migrate catalogues, orders, customers, shipment and core configuration.
- Migrate M1 theme to M2 while making user interface level changes and then make changes in required data.
- Update incremental data after gently collecting the data updates added in Magento 1 and transfer it to Magento 2.
- It’s time to go live.
Which Magento 2 edition is right for you?
From available two editions, here is when and whom you should choose from them:
- Magento 2 Commerce- It is the enterprise version of Magento 2 and can shift businesses from medium to large. The version has extensive B2B & business intelligence options and management marketing. Plus, it is cloud-hosted and offers a single contract that supports commerce and hosting.
- Magento 2 Open Source- The Free open source version does not come with account management and technical support. This edition is the best suit for smaller businesses, as its capabilities to conversion, efficiency and scalability.
Cost of migration
The level of customization and the efforts of migration decides the cost of Magento 1 to 2 migration. If you are looking for an improved user experience and a considerably upgraded eCommerce site, it will also influence the cost of migration.
Apart from all these, who you choose for your Magento site migration is also an area you must focus on. We are talking about the Magento migration service that has an experienced team of Magento developers.